Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

My RA Story - Part 3



In 2009, I had my left hip done. I was not in as much pain with this one, but the clicking and clunking was unreal. I do not feel this surgery was as successful as the first one. I had a severe asthma attack coming out of the anesthetic. I still feel some aches with it, but the noise has definitely stopped. At this point, my GP ordered ankle and knee x-rays too, and the Orthopedic Surgeon suggested I have both knees and ankles done so that, perhaps, I could walk again.

The ankles were the worst, so they would need to be done first. When you look at the x-rays all you can see is fuzz, no bone. Ankle replacements require 6 months recovery time and at this point they only have about an 8 year life span. So it would take approximately 2 years for complete recovery from both and then they would need to be done again or fused in another 6 years. My GP does not feel my body can handle all of these surgeries and I now agree.

However, I did research the
 ankle surgeries and spoke to another Orthopedic Surgeon who said, although the risk was low, there was still a risk with complications and infection which could lead to having my ankle/foot amputated. I decided no thank you! I do not know about you, but I am quite attached to my foot and it is still very useful even if I cannot walk on it. I can live with the pain, at least for now, maybe in a few years they will make ankle replacements that last as long as hip replacements and without so much risk.

Well that brings me up to date! 

I think I did a fine mothering job with my daughter and my teenage sons are still a work in process : ) Being a grandparent is the best! My little 15 month grandson has learned how to climb up onto his Nana’s lap and maneuver around me in my wheelchair, as I’m sure my granddaughter, arriving in June, will too.

Are there things I would like to be able to do? Of course, I would love to be able to cook in my kitchen, play with my grandchildren on the floor, and babysit them on my own! But my shoulders, neck and hands just cannot manage those things. Accepting one’s limitations is often the hardest thing, and most of the time I do.

I have been blessed with a wonderful, supportive husband who does everything I cannot around our home and never complains. I have great parents, thoughtful children and an amazing friend, who help me through both good and bad days! I would never have made it this far without them and I thank them! 

4 comments:

  1. How do you cope with RA in your daily life? Do you have a supportive family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my husband, my son, 6 critters, GOD & friends. Do they all understand all the time? No, but my husband is wonderful, GOD always there for me & my son, friends and critters make me smile on bad days when I have nothing to give but a smile. I cope because I have to, I choose to & most days, I want to. It's hard but I do what I can, when I can. Right now I'm having serious medication issues so my flares are running a muck right now. Oy.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right about coping. I miss having a dog, they are such great comforts. I hope you are able to straighten out your medication issues. The side effects of some of our medications out way the benefits. Take care & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Cindy - I just found your site and read your story and I am amazed at all you have done and all do with how severe your disease is! I was diagnosed 2 years ago, though I probably started showing symptoms about 3-4 years ago. I had a doctor dismiss my foot pain as bunions... turns out there are erosions in both already. However, I am lucky enough to be getting aggressive treatment - and to have been diagnosed in the age of the Internet, when I can see others out there like me (my age even!) and what they've tried/what works/what doesn't etc.
    I'm still on the fence about children (leading toward no for RA and other reasons right now), but you give me great hope that it is possible to be a great parent, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete