Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

My RA Story

My RA Story


I was diagnosed with RA in 1984. How did I get it? Good question –there are many theories out there about what causes RA, but the general consensus is that we are genetically disposed to the disease and it takes some kind of shock to our system to awaken the sleeping beast.

What was my trigger?

In December of 1983, I twisted my ankle coming down some icy steps. I was four months pregnant at the time and the swelling never did go away and then I was diagnosed with toxemia. Then in April of 1984, our first son died an hour and a half after birth. The pregnancy was great and we had no idea Michael had Potter Syndrome until he was born. The aches and pains got worse in my ankle and after two miscarriages they began to spread to my hands. It was suggested I not get pregnant again. My husband & I wanted more children so we applied for adoption. That same year, my husband had a work accident and could not work for the next 2 years. September, 1984, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Diagnosis

My Rheumatologist was fantastic. He took one look at me and was able to diagnose me on the spot. He then sent me to have x-rays and blood work done for confirmation. Next, I was sent to the Arthritis Clinic to talk about range of motion exercises, resting/working splints, hot wax treatments for my hands and other ways to protect my joints. Showing me a video of a woman in her late sixties who was crippled up and in pain with RA was the biggest mistake they made at the clinic. I was 24 years old; I knew I was never going to look like that so I did not take the advice to heart. I will be 50 years old this year and that is the only big regret I have; I didn’t take that video seriously. If it had been of someone in their late 30’s or 40’s maybe I would have. My advice to anyone who has just been diagnosed with RA is to do the range of motion exercises 2 to 3 times a day, rest when necessary and use the splints as suggested. Do everything you can to slow this disease down!

In 1986, my beautiful, healthy daughter, Lisa, was born. Unfortunately, as with most of us with RA, after giving birth, my body was attacked again. I lost weight, was overcome with fatigue, and the pain was awful. Luckily for me my husband was still home from his accident and my mother was nearby so they were able to look after Lisa and myself. I was put on Prednisone, my symptoms began to fade and I was able to go back to work.

Naturopathic Stage

It was soon after that I decided to go to a Naturopathic doctor. At this point, I just want to say what works for some people with Rheumatoid Arthritis might not work for someone else. I was put on a specific diet and was not to consume red meat, white flour or white rice, processed food of any kind, shade vegetables and prescription medication. Needless to say, I was not very happy, but I stuck with the diet for 9 months and the end results were not what I had hoped. I got worse – this is to be expected at first, but I did not get better. As a matter of fact, according to my Rheumatologist, I had done irreparable damage to my joints and was bed ridden. I had to quit my job. The Naturopathic doctor finally said he could not help me. I was sent to a rehabilitation hospital for 3 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Have you gone to a Naturopathic doctor? Did you find pain relief?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No and No. Right now with the numbers my labs are throwing I simply can't depend on anything but brutal science. Maybe when I investigate further I will feel differently but for now, no.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding pain relief is difficult. Everyone's body is so different. It is rather frustrating that what works for one person may not work for another.

    ReplyDelete