Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

In the news this week!

I read a couple articles this week ticked me off. 

The first one was an article claiming most RA patients die 10 years earlier of premature heart disease.  When I was first diagnosed and researched RA, way back in 1984, it was believed our life expectancy was shortened by 5 years.  So what happened?  Where has the extra 5 years gone?

Personally, I don’t believe this but if it is true, it might be a blessing in disguise.  I’m 50 years old this year and with the progression of this disease I’m not so sure I want to be here at 70 or 75. I’m not trying to be negative or depressing. But with all the help I need now to get through the day, I can only imagine what I will be like at that age. I would have to be put into a home because I doubt my husband (who’s health also isn’t good) could look after me at that stage and I don’t want to live in a senior’s home.

This article states, "The majority of the delay is on the part of the patient." Apparently we wait too long to go to the doctor for a diagnosis because we think it is the normal aches and pains of growing older. Most with RA first notice symptoms in our mid 20’s to mid 30’s. We do not think the pain we are suffering with is because we are getting older. From what I read on our blogs a lot of those with RA have a problem with their doctors not taking them seriously or we can’t be given the new medication which is showing success because our medical system insists we start at the bottom and work our way up to the more effective ones or they are simply too expensive without an extended medical plan.

I do agree with both articles that state the sooner we are diagnosed and given aggressive treatment the better. We feel rather invincible in our mid 20’s. but it needs to made very clear that we need to eat a healthy diet, do low impact exercises every day (the bad days do only Range of Motion), see an occupational therapist to find out what we should do differently to protect our joints and trust our instincts when it comes to our medical treatment. If we don’t feel we are receiving the right effective treatment we should talk to our doctor and if he won’t listen, find another one who will!

Life is too short not to look after ourselves properly and according to research it is getting shorter. Oh, and don’t believe everything you read.

5 comments:

  1. Tammy here.... I too read an article regarding this. The future is definately not garunteed to anyone with a auto-immune disorder. I mean it's not garunteed to anyone but for us, it's cut even shorter. The delay in getting help in my opinion is more quickly derailed by doctors who blame "housewives disease" on everything. Shame on them. I hope you are well. I see it's been some time since you posted. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing okay, thanks. Between my two jobs, helping plan my daughter's wedding, taking a course and my blogs the hours in the day run out before I'm finished :)Yes, it does seem our symptoms are not taken seriously. I also feel once diagnosed we should be treated with the stronger medications to derail RA quickly not the low dose nsaids,etc. Hugs to you Tammy! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cindy, I've been living with RA for almost 15 years now, and I feel like your words could be my own. It can be hard to imagine living well into my 70s with all this pain. And it's not just the physical pain. Emotionally, the pain affects me so much. I've been reading ways to cut down negative thoughts associated with pain at http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-pain but it's hard. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that your post really spoke to me, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Carol! It's been a while since I've been on here. I have recently started Chair Yoga 'Get Fit Where You Sit'. Which has helped me some with my asthma so far and helps me feel like I am doing something to keep what little movement I have. Thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts, I will do the same for you :)

      Delete
  4. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comJune 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM

    Hi,

    I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an overview of a ConsumerReports’ evaluation of treatments and medications for Rheumatoid Arthritis. This is highly valuable information as it provides RA patients with an understanding of how biologics are used to treat RA.

    You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/consumer-reports-rheumatoid-arthritis

    Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://rheumatoidarthritisandme.blogspot.com/2010/09/in-news-this-week.html

    I would really appreciate if you could review our request and consider adding this very useful information to your site.

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete